Thursday, January 17, 2013

#2 - Second Post - My Life as a Game Programmer

I am very passionate about gaming and I find it a wonderful opportunity to provide entertainment to others in the form of creating my own games.  Over the course of my education career, I've developed many games.  I'll try to outline some of them here.  This probably also gives off a good impression about my programming knowledge.

2003 - I worked on and developed a cover of Monopoly that I called Joenopoly.  I renamed all the tiles and created new images for most everything.  It was built in a now, very old version of Visual Basic.  I didn't know much about programming back then, but I knew I had a passion for developing games.  This project served as a senior project at High School for graduation.

2005 - In Ada, a very strict programming language used to learn programming structures in general, I developed a terminal/console based game in which the player moved across a series of rooms, some of which hosted monsters that you had to fight.  This was a well controlled RPG of sorts, but it was also a very small game.  I'd always preferred RPG games when playing them on my own, and so I'd always tried to make one of my own as well.  But they are not very easy to make - enemies with stats such as HP, MP, strength, defense, and more all contribute to a very challenging task of balance with the "hero's" stats of the same kind.

2006 - Have learned Java and put some collective studies on AI to the task in a simple turn based RPG game in which a player combats enemies by walking into them.  This one was called "Avalonn" - artificial valley of neural nets.  The enemies chose what to do for themselves, based on conditions around them.

2006 - "Rocelia" - another Visual Basic project which featured an incomplete but vast world in which you encounter random enemies in a pop-up battle display of sorts.  Had a small story and a sliding overworld as you walk across it.

2007 - "Bingo Quest" - Yet another Visual Basic project in which the objective was to play Bingo and win games to fuel your rocket and play some more Bingo on other planets

2008 - Introduction to OpenGL in c++.  Built a game called "Blokuest" in which you were a block in a puzzle world with switches, crystals and targets to reach.  Rendered in full 3D with a number of OpenGL techniques.

2009 - More OpenGL: built a game called "Getris", which stands for Graphical Tetris.  This was standard Tetris version fully rendered in 3D, in which the blocks had surfaces that could be adjusted to give the impression of reflective surfaces, shiny surfaces, rough or cloth surfaces, and could cast shadows beneath them.

2010 - Another OpenGL Project: "Dimensia", my attempt at splitting "Fun" into four dimensions.  This game played pretty much exactly like Zelda, except you could use a sword, a side swiping axe, a bow or a magic staff.

2011 - "AiMazed2D" - Lua Version.  This game featured randomly generated dungeon/mazes in which there was a hidden key and exit for the player to locate before the computer did so in its own randomly generated dungeon.

2011 - More Lua Projects: Built "Attack of the Robots", "Evolution Simulation" and "Grand Theft Wumpus" - three very simple projects outlined in a book designed to teach LISP.

2012 - "Qubey's Deep Dungeon".  Based on AiMazed2D, with random dungeon generation and exploration as the core.  I got in touch with some people from the west coast who are interested in  perhaps putting together a mobile games development start-up.  In my eyes, I hope Qubey can be the premier launching project, and there are some really good hopes here.  We have future projects we'd like to develop as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment